Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Celebrate Father's Day!

How will you celebrate your dad this Father's Day?  Unlike Mother's Day which is centered around us moms,  I think of  Father's Day as more of a family event where we gather to do something fun with dad.


I'm obviously not a dad but I can boldly say from my own experience with my dad that the greatest measure of his fatherhood was knowing that he was loved and that all his children were doing okay.  Even though I can't pick up the phone to call my dad this year, I'm grateful for the gift he gave my siblings and I last year.  You see, on the eve of June 8th, 2014, he called every single one of us and had long and heartfelt conversations. .  We talked about the kids, life and laughed and signed off with a "bye for now".   Little did I know it was bye forever because six hours later, I received the dreaded phone call that he had passed away.  As shocking and unexpected as this was,  he had done what every loving father would do.  He checked in with all his children and had the assurance that we were all okay, I have no doubt that he was at peace.


This Father's Day,  while celebrating my dad in spirit,  I will celebrate my husband, my brothers, my friends,  first time dads and the men who are father figures for so many children out there.


I hope you will also take time to do something fun for the fathers in your life.  Make a call, pop by for a visit,  go fishing, play golf,  simply spend time to let them know how much they are appreciated. 


And just in case you're in the mood for more celebrations*, here are a few more dates in June that you can add to your list.
June 3      Repeat Day
June 8      Best Friends Day
June 21    Finally Summer
June 26   Take Your Dog to Work Day
June 29    Hug Holiday
*Source - Holiday Insights

No comments:

Post a Comment